The date is set! Juneau Renewable Energy Strategy will come before the Assembly at the Committee of the Whole meeting on Monday, November 20th.
Years of hard work have gone into this effort. Now it’s go time! Let’s make sure we get the strongest commitment possible. Here’s what you can do:
- Email the Assembly expressing your support for the plan.
- Attend the meeting on November 20th and wear one of our stickers to show your support.
- Write a letter to the editor
- Get 3 friends to email the Assembly.
- If you own a business and would like to join a coalition of businesses who support clean energy, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The final revision of the CBJ Renewable Energy Strategy is making the rounds. It will most likely come before the Committee of the Whole (COW) on September 18th. It’s possible that the Assembly will vote on October 16th. We will keep you updated as the issue progresses.
In the mean time, here are 3 things you can do:
- Vote in the Municipal Election on October 3rd!!!
- Read the final draft (or at least the executive summary), and the public comments from the previous round.
- Please spread the word.
Thank you and as always, we will keep you updated. Please join our email list or like us on Facebook to make sure you’re in the loop.
Background on Juneau’s Renewable Energy Strategy:
The Juneau Assembly has a decision to make. They’ve been presented with a draft energy plan and now they have to choose a goal for the Capital City. It’s time to lead from the municipal level.
Juneau is at a crossroads. We have abundant, responsible, local hydropower right in our own back yard. But we must choose to invest in those resources. What kind of legacy will we leave?
Innovation is nothing new to Juneau. We’ve had 100% renewable electricity for a hundred years. Juneau also has the highest per capita ownership of electric vehicles in the country.
But even with all that, electricity currently accounts for only 20% of Juneau’s total energy usage.
The Energy plan is intended to set a goal for how much Juneau is going to reduce its emissions with specific, prioritized recommendations. The first half of the energy plan includes a study of Juneau’s current energy uses and sources, and priorities were identified using this information.
Juneau exports millions of dollars each year to purchase fossil fuels. What would happen if we kept that money here in our local economy?
Let’s make Juneau a leader in Alaska and the US!